Release fiddling, need another day or two.
Add Reply
Rob Landley
2017-10-04 09:14:47 UTC
I wrote up release notes yesterday, but am reluctant to do a second
release with no new commands, especially since I have pending changes in
my tree for dd, ping, lsof, iconv, cut, sysconf, gzip... In any normal
dev cycle I'd have gotten at least half those finished and checked in,
but this year's been a bit distracting.

So I'm taking a little extra time to finish off at least one, hopefully
two. Stalling on the way to 1.0 is not cool and I'd like to get unblocked.

Rob

P.S. The past month and change has involved a hurricane, poison ivy, a
chipped tooth, my struggling little startup only depositing one of the
past four paychecks, and worst of all daily calls to the answering
machines of Ted Cruz and John Cornyn politely asking them to not. I'm
afraid my open source development may have been a little less energetic
than normal.

P.P.S. I miss normal.
scsijon
2017-10-04 21:25:38 UTC
Message: 1
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 04:14:47 -0500
Subject: [Toybox] Release fiddling, need another day or two.
I wrote up release notes yesterday, but am reluctant to do a second
release with no new commands, especially since I have pending changes in
my tree for dd, ping, lsof, iconv, cut, sysconf, gzip... In any normal
dev cycle I'd have gotten at least half those finished and checked in,
but this year's been a bit distracting.
So I'm taking a little extra time to finish off at least one, hopefully
two. Stalling on the way to 1.0 is not cool and I'd like to get unblocked.
Rob
Instead, think of it as a "getting most of the bugs out and having a
working base point" release. Well worth having from time to time
Especially if later problems cause things suddenly turn to quicksand,
you can check if the problem cause was in code before or after this
point, and that shortens rework cycles to get up and running again.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I DO like toybox.

regards
scsijon
ps I wonder if android could make use of it?
enh
2017-10-05 05:54:19 UTC
Message: 1
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 04:14:47 -0500
[...]
pay attention at the back there!

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/master/shell_and_utilities/

:-)
Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.
scsijon
2017-10-05 09:11:55 UTC
OK, my apologies, I must have missed the android link anouncement by
Rob. However my other premise still stands.

regards to all
scsijon
Message: 1
Rob Landley
2017-10-07 00:16:45 UTC
None of these messages have shown up in the web archive since dreamhost
"fixed" it. There's nothing for the month of October yet.

Dreamhost is really, really, really bad a this.

Rob
Post by scsijon
OK, my apologies, I must have missed the android link anouncement by
Rob. However my other premise still stands.
regards to all
scsijon
Message: 1
David Seikel
2017-10-07 01:51:50 UTC
Post by Rob Landley
None of these messages have shown up in the web archive since
dreamhost "fixed" it. There's nothing for the month of October yet.
Dreamhost is really, really, really bad a this.
Is it time to move to someone other than Dreamhost?
Post by Rob Landley
Rob
Post by scsijon
OK, my apologies, I must have missed the android link anouncement by
Rob. However my other premise still stands.
regards to all
scsijon
Message: 1
Alain Toussaint
2017-10-07 02:16:46 UTC
Post by David Seikel
Is it time to move to someone other than Dreamhost?
I would suggest yes but have no recommendations regarding better hosts
(that is, despite using linode but that's only because I build the
base platform for my linode).

Alain
Rob Landley
2017-10-07 05:25:06 UTC
Post by David Seikel
Post by Rob Landley
None of these messages have shown up in the web archive since
dreamhost "fixed" it. There's nothing for the month of October yet.
Dreamhost is really, really, really bad a this.
Is it time to move to someone other than Dreamhost?
1) Devil you know. (They mostly don't screw up anything _else_.)

2) If I had time to sysadmin I'd have time to finish the deflate
compression-side implementation and hook it up to zip.c.

3) They're cheap and they don't meter bandwidth or enforce strict space
limits. (They did delete the directory of videos I uploaded once, but
that's a policy thing.) I had some fairly large OS images get downloaded
a lot back when Aboriginal Linux was active and they never complained...