Release fiddling, need another day or two.
Rob Landley
2017-10-04 09:14:47 UTC
I wrote up release notes yesterday, but am reluctant to do a second
release with no new commands, especially since I have pending changes in
my tree for dd, ping, lsof, iconv, cut, sysconf, gzip... In any normal
dev cycle I'd have gotten at least half those finished and checked in,
but this year's been a bit distracting.

So I'm taking a little extra time to finish off at least one, hopefully
two. Stalling on the way to 1.0 is not cool and I'd like to get unblocked.

Rob

P.S. The past month and change has involved a hurricane, poison ivy, a
chipped tooth, my struggling little startup only depositing one of the
past four paychecks, and worst of all daily calls to the answering
machines of Ted Cruz and John Cornyn politely asking them to not. I'm
afraid my open source development may have been a little less energetic
than normal.

P.P.S. I miss normal.
scsijon
2017-10-04 21:25:38 UTC
On 10/05/2017 07:14 AM, toybox-***@lists.landley.net wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 04:14:47 -0500
> From: Rob Landley <***@landley.net>
> To: ***@lists.landley.net
> Subject: [Toybox] Release fiddling, need another day or two.
>
> I wrote up release notes yesterday, but am reluctant to do a second
> release with no new commands, especially since I have pending changes in
> my tree for dd, ping, lsof, iconv, cut, sysconf, gzip... In any normal
> dev cycle I'd have gotten at least half those finished and checked in,
> but this year's been a bit distracting.
>
> So I'm taking a little extra time to finish off at least one, hopefully
> two. Stalling on the way to 1.0 is not cool and I'd like to get unblocked.
>
> Rob

Instead, think of it as a "getting most of the bugs out and having a
working base point" release. Well worth having from time to time
Especially if later problems cause things suddenly turn to quicksand,
you can check if the problem cause was in code before or after this
point, and that shortens rework cycles to get up and running again.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I DO like toybox.

regards
scsijon
ps I wonder if android could make use of it?
enh
2017-10-05 05:54:19 UTC
On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 2:25 PM, scsijon <***@lamiaworks.com.au> wrote:

> On 10/05/2017 07:14 AM, toybox-***@lists.landley.net wrote:
>

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 04:14:47 -0500
>> From: Rob Landley <***@landley.net>
>> To: ***@lists.landley.net
>> Subject: [Toybox] Release fiddling, need another day or two.
>>
>> I wrote up release notes yesterday, but am reluctant to do a second
>> release with no new commands, especially since I have pending changes in
>> my tree for dd, ping, lsof, iconv, cut, sysconf, gzip... In any normal
>> dev cycle I'd have gotten at least half those finished and checked in,
>> but this year's been a bit distracting.
>>
>> So I'm taking a little extra time to finish off at least one, hopefully
>> two. Stalling on the way to 1.0 is not cool and I'd like to get unblocked.
>>
>> Rob
>>
> Instead, think of it as a "getting most of the bugs out and having a working
> base point" release. Well worth having from time to time Especially if later
> problems cause things suddenly turn to quicksand, you can check if the
> problem cause was in code before or after this point, and that shortens
> rework cycles to get up and running again.
>
> Anyway, keep up the good work, I DO like toybox.
>
> regards
> scsijon
> ps I wonder if android could make use of it?

pay attention at the back there!

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/master/shell_and_utilities/

:-)

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.
scsijon
2017-10-05 09:11:55 UTC
OK, my apologies, I must have missed the android link anouncement by
Rob. However my other premise still stands.

regards to all
scsijon

Rob Landley
2017-10-07 00:16:45 UTC
None of these messages have shown up in the web archive since dreamhost
"fixed" it. There's nothing for the month of October yet.

Dreamhost is really, really, really bad a this.

Rob

David Seikel
2017-10-07 01:51:50 UTC
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 19:16:45 -0500 Rob Landley <***@landley.net> wrote:

> None of these messages have shown up in the web archive since
> dreamhost "fixed" it. There's nothing for the month of October yet.
>
> Dreamhost is really, really, really bad a this.

Is it time to move to someone other than Dreamhost?

Alain Toussaint
2017-10-07 02:16:46 UTC
> Is it time to move to someone other than Dreamhost?

I would suggest yes but have no recommendations regarding better hosts
(that is, despite using linode but that's only because I build the
base platform for my linode).

Alain
Rob Landley
2017-10-07 05:25:06 UTC
On 10/06/2017 08:51 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 19:16:45 -0500 Rob Landley <***@landley.net> wrote:
>
>> None of these messages have shown up in the web archive since
>> dreamhost "fixed" it. There's nothing for the month of October yet.
>>
>> Dreamhost is really, really, really bad a this.
>
> Is it time to move to someone other than Dreamhost?

1) Devil you know. (They mostly don't screw up anything _else_.)

2) If I had time to sysadmin I'd have time to finish the deflate
compression-side implementation and hook it up to zip.c.

3) They're cheap and they don't meter bandwidth or enforce strict space
limits. (They did delete the directory of videos I uploaded once, but
that's a policy thing.) I had some fairly large OS images get downloaded
a lot back when Aboriginal Linux was active and they never complained...

Rob
Rob Landley
2017-10-17 18:15:24 UTC
I have rather a lot of open email windows with 2/3 finished replies in
them....

On 10/04/2017 04:25 PM, scsijon wrote:
>> So I'm taking a little extra time to finish off at least one, hopefully
>> two. Stalling on the way to 1.0 is not cool and I'd like to get
>> unblocked.
>>
>> Rob
>>
> Instead, think of it as a "getting most of the bugs out and having a
> working base point" release.

I had that already (and eventually shipped it), but I also have new code
in xargs that doesn't have a corresponding test...

And writing that test code I found out lifting the _total_ arg+env space
restriction in the kernel means the the max length of an _individual_
argument is still 131071. (Which we don't need to test in xargs because
what do you do about it, we can't police the individual inputs, all we
could do is skip them which isn't what we were asked to do.) But it
means that testing the length limit edge case means I can't just do
"printf '%0*d' $BIGVALUE 0 | xargs /bin/echo", I have to split it up
into blocks of 131071 plus the tail.

Grinding through my todo list to keep up with the new items it spins off
_as_ I grind through it would be a full time job, and the past 18 months
or so I've _had_ a full time job that's actually requiring all the
energy I can spare for it...

> Well worth having from time to time
> Especially if later problems cause things suddenly turn to quicksand,
> you can check if the problem cause was in code before or after this
> point, and that shortens rework cycles to get up and running again.

That's not a release question, that's a "when do I commit" question. I
try very hard to test that sort of thing _before_ it goes into the tree,
at least now that there are users. Of course that leads to:

$ git diff | wc
1797 8542 63136

And that's _after_ I just cut a release.

> Anyway, keep up the good work, I DO like toybox.

Thanks.

> regards
> scsijon
> ps I wonder if android could make use of it?

I believe Elliott pulls my tree on fridays, and they use their own build
system so my releases are largely cosmetic from their point of view. I
think M, N, and O all shipped git snapshot du jour when they froze,
rather than release versions. But they do their own testing, and I try
to test each commit, so it works out.

(Releases are good because they provide coordination points, but android
has its own releases which are the coordination points they care about.)