Yes, I'm aware dreamhost has deleted the mailing list web archive again.
Add Reply
Rob Landley
2017-09-29 05:47:01 UTC
It's an annual event with them. They're deeply incompetent.

Rob
enh
2017-10-11 17:36:23 UTC
Seems like it's not being updated even now... "*Note:*The archive search
index was last rebuilt at Friday, 29 Sep 2017 19:07:57 PDT. Any postings
after that will not be found by a search. Index rebuild is usally done once
every 24 hours for this list."
Rob Landley
2017-10-11 20:58:16 UTC
Post by enh
Post by Rob Landley
It's an annual event with them. They're deeply incompetent.
Seems like it's not being updated even now... "*Note:*The archive search
index was last rebuilt at Friday, 29 Sep 2017 19:07:57 PDT. Any postings
after that will not be found by a search. Index rebuild is usally done
once every 24 hours for this list."
Did I say deeply incompetent?

https://twitter.com/landley/status/917549056544604160

I meant deeply, _deeply_ incompetent.

Seriously, they've done this at least once a year since something like
2010, usually leaving another hole in the mailing list archive when they
(eventually) restore from a stale backup and think that fixes it.

I used to collect my interactions with them:

http://landley.net/dreamhost.txt
http://landley.net/dreamhost2.txt

But haven't in years because there's no point. They never learn because
I'm never talking to the same people. Even in the same thread, each
message is replied to by whichever junior intern is on duty right then,
with no institutional memory at all.

They're decent about the actual web hosting part (it's a static website
I have fully backed up and rsync, it's hard to screw that up and "fire
up an empty container and restore the data from a backup" generally _is_
the right answer to something going wrong there). They're cheap, they
don't meter bandwidth or have a hard storage limit, and I do _not_ have
time to try to administer my own servers these days (work has gotten
_exciting_ again, I'm trying to get this release out before I get
kidnapped by j-core stuff for a few months)...

But it would be really really nice if I could run a mailman instance on
the container I ssh into instead of having them run lists.landley.net as
a shared "service" for me, which I have to administer through a web page
instead of the command line.

Right, back to trying to test and checkin cut.c. The new version of
which can do this!

$ awk '{print $2" "$7" "$5}' LICENSE | head -n 5
(C) Landley by

to distribute modify,
with hereby fee

l$ ./cut -DF 2,7,5 LICENSE | head -n 5
(C) Landley by

to distribute modify,
with hereby fee

(It's not awk, but it's better than nothing.)

Rob
enh
2017-10-11 21:29:34 UTC
Post by Rob Landley
Post by enh
Post by Rob Landley
[...]
i have a partial toybox awk that's just about at that level and each
time i think about doing a bit more i wonder why GNU cut never grew
this obvious missing option...
Post by Rob Landley
Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.